The Stage 4 is awesome - but it has some structural deficits (subjective opinion)

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Nordlicht
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

The Stage 4 is awesome - but it has some structural deficits (subjective opinion)

Post by Nordlicht »

Please don't get me wrong, the Stage 4 is a great instrument and I wouldn't want to be without it.

But in my practice I have noticed the following four structural deficits:

1) Effects turn to mono with the Rotary Speaker Sim:
All effects that you use for a sound from the organ section become mono when you activate the Rotary Speaker Sim. Then only the Leslie itself is stereo. This may not matter live and in a band context (or perhaps even be advantageous), but for me in the studio this makes the B3 sound very flat and lifeless.

2) Synth section - "Wave Type":
I can't find a proper use for the various "WAVE" waveforms. Compared to the "extended waveforms" in the Lead A1/Stage 3, this section falls completely short in my opinion. The often belittled A1 offers a much wider range of sounds and possibilities.

3) Lack of morphable parameters:
All "screen menu" parameters that are controlled with the 3 soft knobs below the synth display cannot be morphed in principle (especially all ENV attack, decay, release). This also limits the possibilities compared to the predecessor and the Nord Leads to make the sounds more lively.

4) No velocity morph:
This is a painful lack, especially because of point 3.

I know, there are more "deficits", that may annoy others, but these are the 4 shortcomings that dampen the positive overall impression for me a little.
How do you see this, is it relevant for you in everyday life?
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
bebopxxg
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Re: The Stage 4 is awesome - but it has some structural deficits (subjective opinion)

Post by bebopxxg »

One of my biggest issues… no velocity cross-switching or cross-fading between synth layers w/user samples. I have several other synths that are over 20 years old, that have this capability!
These users thanked the author bebopxxg for the post:
Nordlicht