How much could I sell my keyboard for?

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
drslimey
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

How much could I sell my keyboard for?

Post by drslimey »

I have an Electro 3 HP and in the next year I want to sell it and get a Stage 2 HA88 to replace it. I was just wondering how much you thought I could sell my electro for though? I bought it brand new in November 2011 and it has been well gigged, however I can't see any marks anywhere that looks as though it has been gigged! Any suggestions would be great - also where would the best place to sell it be? Ebay, part exchange in a shop? And ideas are very welcome!
azwel
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
United States of America

Re: How much could I sell my keyboard for?

Post by azwel »

check what people are selling it for on ebay and sell it for 3 dollars less
Darren
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave
Great Britain

Post by Darren »

There's little point selling it to a shop as they'll likely offer you about 1/3 of the market value (general rule of thumb with music shops). If you want to use a shop, then there are two options:
1. Put your E3HP in part exchange for the NS2 - this would give you the best price you're likely to get from a shop but still not as much as if you sold it privately.
2. See if your store will sell your board on a sale or return basis. My Dad does exactly this as it means he doesn't have to buy in the stock and take the risk. Essentially, a price is agreed based on the market price and what the customer is willing to sell for. When it's sold, a commission is paid to the business and the rest goes to the customer. The obvious downside is that the item has to stay in the store - you don't know how long it will have to sit there before it's sold. If it's there too long, you might have to drop the price due to changes in the market.

Looking at Ebay, there are none on there secondhand and a new one listed at £1869. Given there are none listed as secondhand, I would start by posting a for sale ad on here - I reckon £1600 ONO is a reasonable ask.

If it doesn't sell, then you'll have to sell it on ebay I guess. But I'm sure people would rather pay a working musician direct rather than the uneasy knowledge that 20% of the price was lining ebay's pockets(?)
Last edited by Darren on 17 May 2013, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Darren for the post (total 2):
drslimey, bluesbaba
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Wave, CME UF60, Studiologic VMK 161 Plus Organ, Roland Juno G, Yamaha P200, Yamaha TG77, Roland U-220, Kawai K3M, Roland Juno 60, Fender Rhodes Stage 73
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

I've bought and sold several Nords (different models), most of them 2nd hand but my Stage 2 was new. Apart from the 15-30% price loss on the day you buy a new one (because a new owner would start whining it is now a used keyboard, even though you might've bought it new 2 days ago) they seem to hold their value fairly well. Of course what people are willing to offer will go down, but compared to something like a PC, games console, etc. which is worth nearly nothing after 2 years they retain their value fairly well (they generally keep on working, too ;) ).

Anyway, I think Darren is absolutely right; you'd get more on the 2nd hand market. It is more cumbersome though, there's no denying that.
drslimey

Post by drslimey »

Thanks for the help guys! I wont be for a few months but do you recon £1500 is a reasonable ask or will i struggle to find anyone willing to pay that?
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

I'd say that is too much, but I would suggest you check some popular English sites for selling 2nd hand stuff. I've seen brand new Nord Electro 4 HPs for just over 1900 pounds and a NE3 HP for about 1850.

I think 1350-1400 pounds might be doable (if your Nord is cosmetically in very good condition, i.e. no obvious scratches, stains, etc.), but it would probably take you a while to sell. Anyway, I don't know the local market in the UK so I might just be talking out of my rear-end. :-)
Cornopean
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand
Great Britain

Post by Cornopean »

A mint studio use only HP4 on eBay went for about £1400 with the original box etc. There's some clearance ex-demo stock of the HP3 for just under £1400 around from dealers.

If you have the box and can ship, you will add a couple of hundred to the price in my opinion. Similarly condition matters. I suspect that there is little real difference in what you can realise for the HP3 versus HP4 second-hand at the moment.

HTH,

Al
Last edited by Cornopean on 21 Jan 2015, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Johannes
Administrator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Italy

Post by Johannes »

That sounds like a very good deal for a E4 HP ;-).
As for the E3 HP, I think mjbrands is right about the rande of 1350-1400 GBP. As he mentioned, as its a very thin market, might take a while but its probably worth waiting.
I stopped dealing with gear over ebay and prefer local deals to avoid shipping costs and the ever increasing ebay fees when selling.
In Europe, I find AudioFanzine to have the best info on prices and offers for gear, the historical prices for the E3 HP confirm the estimates of mj:
electro hp seller prices france.png
electro hp seller prices france.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
(Source: http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-numer ... -annonces/)
Cornopean
Patch Creator
Great Britain

Post by Cornopean »

Yes, I was surprised that it hadn't been snapped up earlier. So mint HP4 with boxes on eBay £1400-ish, that's about £1300 after fees/Paypal. Say £1250 for an HP3 mint boxed, but you should always ask for more to start with! And work downwards from £1250 target sale price if not mint, or you're not prepared to ship. Remember for £1500 you can get a Stage EX 76 in VGC (I've seen a couple at that price recently, they both sold IIRC), different beast of course, but depending on what you're wanting out of a keyboard, the Electro can seem limited in comparison.

Al
Last edited by Cornopean on 21 Jan 2015, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
drslimey

Post by drslimey »

The cheapest brand new Electro 4HP I can find on ebay is £1800 (which is what I bought bought my 3HP for) - and i unfortunately threw the box away a long time ago! So yeah i recon £1200 at the very minimum i would ask! Maybe starting at £1400? And where do you think the best place to advertise is? I would do it on ebay but they just take to much away from you now - especially something worth that much you i would lose about £200 - £300!