Superstition - Stevie Ray Vaughan Version

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
PolishPrince
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Superstition - Stevie Ray Vaughan Version

Post by PolishPrince »

I've always thought the keyboards played by Reese Wynan in Superstition by Stevie Ray Vaughan were mesmerizing.

Today, I took a stab at replicating it.

Reese used a Juno 106 and a B3 on the recording and playing live. I've never owned a Juno 106, so I don't know if he used a stock preset or made his own patch. It sounds like a cross between an accordion and analog horns. It's a great mesmerizing pulsating sound and fantastic keyboard playing.

I am no Reese Wynan for sure, but I decided to make my own patch today to suit my own style, but still stay true to the song. I want that "f" sound at the beginning of key each press.. To my ears it literally sound like the letter "f".

I used only one panel on the Nord Stage 3 and used all engines.

B3, Clav with Auto Wah, and a tweaked Oberheim Horns sample.

My NS3C setup has all organ running out mono from output 3 into a Lounsberry Fat & Tall, Organ Grinder, and finally to a Neo-Instruments Ventilator 2 which is sent to the mixer in stereo. (fyi - I never use both Lounsberry pedals at the same time).

This sound is using a touch of Fat & Tall and I put the mic placement a little closer than I normally do on the Ventilator 2 for this song.

If you listen to the music with your eyes closed, you will hear whatever you want to hear.. If you think "clav", you'll hear clav... If you think "horns", you'll hear horns... If you think "B3 Leslie", you'll hear that. I've got the organ as the predominant sound, but the clav and horns are still right up there with the organ.

I'm super stoked on the way it sounds, and I'd thought I'd share the video here on the forums.

Next Week when I get some free time, I'll go into detail on all the settings and upload a bundle for download if anyone is interested in this. I'll also supply the Vent and Lounsberry settings as best as I can with some pics.

And yes, I know Reese didn't use the B3 as much as I do, but this is my own take on this great song.

These users thanked the author PolishPrince for the post (total 6):
Schorsch, WannitBBBad, Berretje, cookie, taxman, Tracii
Ambassador At Large
Current Gear: NS3C,OB-X8, MatrixBrute, Polybrute, 1961 A100, 2 Vent 2s, Korg M1REX, Matrix-6, MicroFreak, TR-8S & Roland Ax-Edge for the ladies. Studio: A&H QU-16,MIO xl, Adam Audio A7X, & a Creation Station.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Superstition - Stevie Ray Vaughan Version

Post by Schorsch »

Hey, that’s awesome, thanks for sharing the video! I would be very interested in getting the bundle and settings of the vent and the lounsberry pedals.
Regards Schorsch

Check this awesome website to visualize NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, Uhl X4V-1, 2-manual HX3.4 organ made by Tastendoktor, SL88 Studio
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Post by ericL »

Great work! I love that version of the song and you did a really nice job with the keyboard sounds.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
jtedesco
United States of America

Post by jtedesco »

Sounds awesome! :clap: Did you ever put together a bundle for this? I'd be very interested this sound, my band is doing ths version.
PolishPrince
Donator
United States of America

Post by PolishPrince »

Nope I never did. I'll do it tomorrow.
These users thanked the author PolishPrince for the post:
Schorsch
Ambassador At Large
Current Gear: NS3C,OB-X8, MatrixBrute, Polybrute, 1961 A100, 2 Vent 2s, Korg M1REX, Matrix-6, MicroFreak, TR-8S & Roland Ax-Edge for the ladies. Studio: A&H QU-16,MIO xl, Adam Audio A7X, & a Creation Station.