Nord Stage and MIDI tutorial

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Nord Stage and MIDI tutorial

Post by FZiegler »

If you are on a Win10 Pro computer, it's probably a 64-bit machine?

Does anybody on the forum know if a Nord Stage will communicate with a 64-bit Win10 computer? Or to ask another way round: May the Clavia USB Driver 3.02.4 JDHD1991 installed (which seemed to have worked) make both communicate?
Last edited by FZiegler on 16 Jan 2024, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

FZiegler wrote:If you are on a Win10 Pro computer, it's probably a 64-bit machine?

Does anybody on the forum know if a Nord Stage will communicate with a 64-bit Win10 computer? Or to ask another way round: May the Clavia USB Driver 3.02.4 JDHD1991 installed (which seemed to have worked) make both communicate?
Clavia latest driver supports Win10 64bit versions, as stated in its download page https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads ... er-windows

Anyway a Nord Stage Classic/EX can use USB only for firmware updates, not for MIDI (just to remind). On those models MIDI is only via DIN so it requires a MIDI interface to work with a computer.
Last edited by maxpiano on 16 Jan 2024, 12:41, edited 3 times in total.
VINNY
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by VINNY »

I feel like an idiot here, but I still can't get my NS2 to control my Roland XV-5050 properly.
I simply want to blend the Roland with my Nord, sending all the touch and bend info but no patch changes.
Simple right?
I read your tutorial but still can't stop the Roland from changing patches with I change them on the Nord.
I've set the A/B Midi to off but it's still changing, what am I missing here?
I've monkeyed around with it so much, is there and reference as to how all the parameters should be set using the Nord as a Master?
Thanks for your help
Vinny
M_a_c
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5
Germany

Post by M_a_c »

The XV-5050 should offer a kind of Midi-Filter (all those older Rolands got one). It should be possible to set all Channels to ignore Programm changes...
... onstage since '78 and on the endless (?) hunt for the perfect stage keyboard...
Current Gear: Nord Stage 4 73 - Nord Electro 5 73 - Yamaha YC61 - Crumar7 - Roland VR-09 - Roland RD-300GX - Yamaha PSR-SX900 - Roland XP-60
Former Gear: ... to much...
VINNY
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by VINNY »

Humm, so my solution is in the Roland. I'll have to look at the manual.
thought the issue was in the Nord controls.
thanks
Vinny
M_a_c
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5
Germany

Post by M_a_c »

... got it! XV-5050 Manual page 67 says:

Establishing a Part’s MIDI Settings
* Parameters that can be set independently for each Part are indicated by “P.”
* Parameters that can be set independently for each MIDI channel are indicated by “C.”
To choose the MIDI channel whose parameters you wish to set, press [ PART]/[PART ].
The selected MIDI channel’s number appears in the upper right of the display.

Settings (here the Channel and the Program Change refuse)
Rx Channel Receive Channel (1–16) - Sets the MIDI channel to which the Part responds
=> Rx Prog Change Receive ProgramChange Switch (OFF, ON) - Sets whether the Part responds to received MIDI Program Change messages or not

It´s interesting, what functions ROLAND had included in their Synthies Midi-Setting-options since the XP-Series (middle 90ies). I got them all under my hands from the JV-Series on and even the current (budget) Juno-DS does still offer these options. But this does not make the NordStage2 less nice...
... onstage since '78 and on the endless (?) hunt for the perfect stage keyboard...
Current Gear: Nord Stage 4 73 - Nord Electro 5 73 - Yamaha YC61 - Crumar7 - Roland VR-09 - Roland RD-300GX - Yamaha PSR-SX900 - Roland XP-60
Former Gear: ... to much...