Nord Stage 3 VS Nord Stage 4

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
FZiegler
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: Nord Stage 3 VS Nord Stage 4

Post by FZiegler »

IIRC, you are one out of a handfull on the forum. To me as a non-NS4 owner all feedback is valuable. No need for stream lining.
Last edited by FZiegler on 09 Nov 2023, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
Schorsch
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
LeftyBass68
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Canada

Post by LeftyBass68 »

You're not alone.
I also prefer the older models.
These guys lost me around the time the Wave2 underwhelmed me.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Germany

Post by analogika »

LeftyBass68 wrote:You're not alone.
Well, that didn’t have the 1’ drawbar cancel, so obviously.
These users thanked the author analogika for the post (total 2):
Bjosko, Schorsch
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
TvR69
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Netherlands

Post by TvR69 »

GpKey wrote:Nord Stage 3 VS Nord Stage 4

With the Nord Stage 4, in addition to the already listed and "Famous" problems regarding MIDI, EX KEY and MULTITIMBRIC management, I find myself dealing with a sound that, instead of improving, has worsened compared to the Nord Stage 3. I realize that not everyone has the opportunity to compare the sound between the NS3 and NS4, because you should have both. Luckily I have them, and I prefer the sound of the NS3 to the NS4. The differences are not minimal. If you can, try loading the same Piano, Rhodes, or Synth, setting the same parameters on both. I know that the Nord Engine is different, but it's one thing to have a similar result, it's another to have a completely different sound. Filters, envelopes, LFOs, effects and amps are very different. For me the NS4 remains a big disappointment. I hope that Nord updates the NS4 firmware as soon as possible, taking into account all the negative things on the forum, even if I have little faith. If things don't improve in a few months, I will sell the NS4 and keep the NS3, losing money, as well as the time to reprogram all my 180 or so programs and the conversion of the various samples I made.

Sorry for my bad English. I write from Italy.
What I don't understand; didn't you try the NS4 in the store before buying?
When I got my NS3 i noticed also a difference in sound compared to my NS2. The NS4 sounds different then the NS3 and the Yamaha Motif sounds different than the Motif ES.
I think almost every new synthesizer from any manufacturer differs in sound from the previous one. Whether you like the new sound or not, that's a matter of personal taste but doesn't make it a bad synthesizer.
Last edited by TvR69 on 10 Nov 2023, 14:44, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author TvR69 for the post:
Schorsch
Live rig: Nord Stage 4 compact, Hammond XK3 - Leslie 760, Yamaha Motif ES7, Moog Sub37
changearound
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2
Great Britain

Post by changearound »

analogika wrote:
LeftyBass68 wrote:You're not alone.
Well, that didn’t have the 1’ drawbar cancel, so obviously.
:D
Valpurgis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Norway

Post by Valpurgis »

LeftyBass68 wrote:Even cheezier on an 8K keyboard that has no 1' drawbar cancel like a real B3.
Very strange attitude. Do you know that «1’ drawbar cancel like a real B3» is a technical limitation to have a source to trigger the percussion amplifier? Traditionally some users modified their organ to use another harmonic (normally the eight) not to miss the ninth, in both case you miss («cancel») a harmonic. Why not push in the drawbar if you dislike it when engaging percussion?
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Valpurgis wrote:
LeftyBass68 wrote:Even cheezier on an 8K keyboard that has no 1' drawbar cancel like a real B3.
Very strange attitude. Do you know that «1’ drawbar cancel like a real B3» is a technical limitation to have a source to trigger the percussion amplifier? Traditionally some users modified their organ to use another harmonic (normally the eight) not to miss the ninth, in both case you miss («cancel») a harmonic. Why not push in the drawbar if you dislike it when engaging percussion?
We are going OT a little bit, anyway I think what people who like LeftyBass68 are keen on that Hammond characteristic are asking for, is to have an option (in Sound menu/B3 parameters) to choose whether to emulate or not that "technical limitation" behaviour (as manyHammond digital clones, HW or VSTi actually do), because it is not the same to just switch on/off percussion and having back the 1' drawbar at its value rather than having to bring it to 0 manually (and then back to desired value) every time.

However, to get back IT, at least this has not changed between NS3 and NS4 ("1' cancellation on/off" parameter not available, on both) ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 10 Nov 2023, 16:43, edited 3 times in total.
LeftyBass68
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Canada

Post by LeftyBass68 »

"Technical limitations" eh? These pitch-sticks last about ten months. The percussion on/off switch on this 1962 A102 has never failed in 61 years.
Top seven tones of Nord's 'B3' don't match a real tonewheel Hammond. They beat out of tune. That's a FACT!
Nord 'peaked' in 2017,has been slipping in both market share and quality ever since.Yamaha clones of Stage now their best seller.

Underwhelmed by Nord since 2019.Not enough 'staff' to run the boutique properly and why I'm no longer a big fan.
If not for the upright pianos I wouldn't even be here in the first place.EVERYONE has a decent grand piano sample,even Casio......
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

LeftyBass68 wrote:"Technical limitations" eh? These pitch-sticks last about ten months. The percussion on/off switch on this 1962 A102 has never failed in 61 years.
Top seven tones of Nord's 'B3' don't match a real tonewheel Hammond. They beat out of tune. That's a FACT!
Nord 'peaked' in 2017,has been slipping in both market share and quality ever since.Yamaha clones of Stage now their best seller.

Underwhelmed by Nord since 2019.Not enough 'staff' to run the boutique properly and why I'm no longer a big fan.
If not for the upright pianos I wouldn't even be here in the first place.EVERYONE has a decent grand piano sample,even Casio......
OK LeftyBass68, understood your view and complaints to Nord, but do you really think repeating them in every post (or two) of yours here on NUF helps in any way...?

Besides, it is known that the drawbar 1' cancellation when activating Percussion was not a specific choice of Hammond but a side effect of the way he implemented the percussion circuit at the time (and some people also rewired it to a different drawbar) and it was indeed the result of a "technical limitation"; this is is also a FACT, let's be honest about it. :-)

Having said that, as this discussion is about "Nord Stage 3 VS Nord Stage 4" not "General quality of Nord keyboards, particularly Organ engine" we should avoid to derail it :)
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Nov 2023, 11:13, edited 11 times in total.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Germany

Post by analogika »

LeftyBass68 wrote:"Technical limitations" eh? These pitch-sticks last about ten months. The percussion on/off switch on this 1962 A102 has never failed in 61 years.
The pitch stick on my stage 2 lasted three years without fault until I sold it; the one in my Stage 3 has lasted well over six years so far…

And percussion switches on Hammonds developing whiskers and shorting out, requiring „zapping“ or full disassembly, are a WELL known phenomenon.

I have no idea why you’d mention that weak spot of Hammond organs. It’s not like the percussion switches on Nords are known to fail… ;)
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio