New EP, "Stockholm"

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
ziozeus
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Italy

Re: New EP, "Stockholm"

Post by ziozeus »

Anyhow yes, I confirm I can't really use this for it disappears up there. But wait! we can edit single notes volume and tone if... Ah no... That was my mp7se... :|
daniel70

Post by daniel70 »

All in all i must say that i like the „Rd78“ Rhodes sample on my Yamaha YC73 still better than all the Nord Rhodes, new Stockholm included. In direct comparison Stockholm sounds a bit thin and harsh.
Nordine
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand
Morocco

Post by Nordine »

daniel70 wrote:All in all i must say that i like the „Rd78“ Rhodes sample on my Yamaha YC73 still better than all the Nord Rhodes, new Stockholm included. In direct comparison Stockholm sounds a bit thin and harsh.
I could emulate the YAMAHA CP88's 78Rd on my NP5 by trying these:
[hr]
[PIANO]

Layer A ▸ EP4 Mk5 80s (Volume: -5.4 dB) KEYB TOUCH: HEAVY DYN COMP: 1 TIMBRE: MID
Layer B ▸ EP9 Stockholm (Volume: 0.0 dB) KEYB TOUCH: HEAVY DYN COMP: 1 TIMBRE: SOFT

[hr]
[MOD1]

PAN1 (Rate: 2.1)
ON on both layers A & B
[hr]
[AMP/COMP]

TWIN (Drive: 0.1)
ON on both layers A & B
[hr]
[EQUALIZER]

TREBLE: +15 dB
MID: 9.2 dB FREQ: 927Hz
BASS: +13 dB
ON on both layers A & B
[hr]
[REVERB]

STAGE
Amt: 2.7
ON on both layers A & B
[hr]
Hope this helps ;)
Last edited by Nordine on 20 Aug 2023, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Nordine for the post:
daniel70
—Nordine

Jazz pianist & co-author of "Jazzology: The Encyclopaedia of Jazz Theory for All Musicians"
Nord Piano 5 (88)
Roland RD-88
Korg Triton Extreme
M-Audio Keys 49 MK3
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
Audient Evo 4
Wurliman69
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand
Great Britain

Post by Wurliman69 »

Help

New to nord - had the impressive NS88 for 3 months. Not technically minded either! But doing ok. Uploaded some samples - buts it’s a fussy mess so far.

Tried to upload the much admired Stockholm EP… but system days 2000 MB used (factory pianos) only 20MB left. Surely you don’t have to delete one of the core factory piano sounds every time Nord provide a new sample?

Besides if I do, then every preset (mine and factory) with the [to be deleted] original sample will fail.

What’s wrong. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Wurliman69 on 26 Aug 2023, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

Nothing wrong, that's how it's supposed to be. You only have 2 GB of storage, and what you decide to load on your board is entirely up to you. This means that if you want to load a bunch of pianos, but you've already used up all your storage space, you'll need to delete some samples. You can't have all the Nord piano collection on any Nord keyboard, because the Stage, which is the one with the highest amount of memory, "only" has 2 GB, and the Nord piano collection in its totality would be much higher than that.

The concept itself of a "core factory sample", as you call it, isn't really a thing either. Sure enough you get as many pianos as the 2 GB allow to already loaded in the board when you buy it, but this doesn't mean they are more "factory" than any others. They are in fact exactly the ones you find on the Nord webpage.

If you delete a sample that was part of a program, the Sound Manager gives you the possibility to "relink" (that's the term used) a different piano sample to the same program, otherwise the program would just have no piano sound at all (and you'd have a red led blinking and the indication on the display that the piano sample is missing).

Hope that helped. Otherwise let us know! :)
Last edited by Hlaalu on 26 Aug 2023, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by analogika »

Re-linking tell the Stage to replace one sample with another, but link all existing programs that use the old piano to the new one, instead.

That way, all programs will at least work, though they may sound different, of course.
Last edited by analogika on 27 Aug 2023, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4
Germany

Post by Nordlicht »

My personal thoughts and experience regarding deleting a piano sample and relinking:
It is usually a good idea to relink the affected programs to a sample that sounds as similar as possible to the deleted one. Then, in most cases, these programs are still good to use.
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by Schorsch »

Isn’t „Substitude“ the option which loads and replaces a sample by another one and at the same time relinks all programs, which used the old sample, to the new one, whilst „Relink“ replaces a sample on just one specific program by another one, which has to be present on the Nord already?
Regards Schorsch

Check this awesome website to visualize NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, Uhl X4V-1, 2-manual HX3.4 organ made by Tastendoktor, SL88 Studio
Nordlicht
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4
Germany

Post by Nordlicht »

Schorsch wrote:Isn’t „Substitude“ the option which loads and replaces a sample by another one and at the same time relinks all programs, which used the old sample, to the new one, whilst „Relink“ replaces a sample on just one specific program by another one, which has to be present on the Nord already?
Yes, "substitute" will load and replace an existing sample and relinks automatically all programs involved. That’s often useful when replacing a sample with another version of the same sample (e.g. replacing "XL" with "L").
But in the case of deleting a sample (without directly replacing it, just on order to create free space), you should first relink the programs before deleting.
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Post by Schorsch »

Yes that’s correct, but why would you like to free up space? I suppose not because you just want to have free space but to have enough space for a sample you like to use, and for this substitude is the go-to option
Last edited by Schorsch on 27 Aug 2023, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Check this awesome website to visualize NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, Uhl X4V-1, 2-manual HX3.4 organ made by Tastendoktor, SL88 Studio