Thanks for the samples

Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.
Ragged
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Thanks for the samples

Post by Ragged »

Hey everyone,

I've been loving the samples by all of you and wish my NE3 had unlimited capacity so I could experiment endlessley with all of them!
Johannes made a great point about people using the services of the forum as guests (tonight I finally registered) and would really urge people to join the forum, this community will only grow larger and the possiblities multiply! This truly is the art of social capital.

Question about sampling -
I'm looking to begin sampling different instruments and submitting them for review - my main project will be my baby grand piano which is seriously old but has a lovely warmth to it. How many velocities can the sample editor handle and how many notes across the 88 would you choose to sample to save on size?

Sincere Thanks
Last edited by Ragged on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Ragged for the post:
Johannes
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member
Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Thanks for the samples

Post by Hanon_CTS »

Hello Ragged,
Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately the Nord Sample Editor software, and .nsmp format will only allow one velocity layer per note.
When playing .nsmp samples in the NE3 polyphony is limited to 16 notes, 18 using the NS2.

I'm sure the experience of sampling your grand would be a very educational experience, however it is not likely to yield a great piano for use with the NE3 or NS2. In my opinion, if that were the only goal, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

The major limitation will be the inability to define different samples for progressive dynamic points. An equally important limitation will be the low sample rate of 44.1 KHz. The Nord library pianos ".npno" are sampled at much higher than that giving them a clarity that can't be matched by the .nsmp format.

There is somewhat of an art form to sampling and knowing what types of sounds can be stretched out among a group of notes, and which have to be sampled note by note.

Industry standard pretty well dictates that complex sounds like acoustic grand pianos have to be sampled note by note with at least 4 progressive velocities.

Good luck with your sampling, I look forward to benefiting from your hard work.

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Ragged
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Re: Thanks for the samples

Post by Ragged »

Hi Hanon,

Thanks for the info - you have answered my question thoroughly.
In that case I will focus my sampling time on other sounds - it would be an educational experience and it would be a shame if the results weren't particualrly usable.

Hopefully once I get some free time I will post my first sample.

Cheers
Dan
Last edited by Ragged on 31 Jul 2012, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.