MIDI-Keyboard with Higher Trigger point for Organ playing

Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.
Eumel
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6
Germany

MIDI-Keyboard with Higher Trigger point for Organ playing

Post by Eumel »

Hi everybody,

I own a Nord Stage 4 88 and a Nord Electro 6 ND61 with the waterfall keybed. To be honest, I only use the sound engine from the NS4, so the NE6 is just used as a MIDI keyboard for organ and synth playing. Unfortunately, it is not possible to do a setting so that the NE6's high trigger point is used for MIDI note on. Now comes my questions: Is there a reasonable 61-key MIDI keyboard with a waterfall keybed that uses a high trigger point for sending out MIDI on so that it is perfectly suitable for organ playing (and maybe also for synth)?

I'd like to point out, that I do not want to use the NE6 as a sound engine because then I would need to switch 2 keyboards when going from song A to song B. Also, program change programming is something I don't like. I'm aware that this would be possible.

I'm looking forward to your proposals.

Many Thanks

Eumel
These users thanked the author Eumel for the post:
MrLeoMadrid
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
Germany

Re: MIDI-Keyboard with Higher Trigger point for Organ playing

Post by Schorsch »

Hi Eumel,

I am very much interested in the same but wondering if there is a 61-key MIDI keyboard with waterfall keybed available at all, not just with high trigger point?
Regards Schorsch

Check this awesome website to visualize NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, Uhl X4V-1, 2-manual HX3.4 organ made by Tastendoktor, SL88 Studio
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

The GSi DMC122 does that, but it is a dual manual 61 keys waterfall master...
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3
United States of America

Post by ericL »

If it was me, I'd try to use the NE6 as a dedicated organ plus occasional synth, and do everything else in the NS4. I realize you probably want to control some of the synths on the NS4 from the NE6, though you could probably replicate a lot of that using samples on the NE6. Maximize the gear you have, which is a very powerful rig.

I also don't love programming to the degree of patch changes, zones, etc. though it's a "rinse and repeat" process - it takes time to set it up for the first time, though once it is done, you can use a couple of complex external zone programs as templates for other programs and it speeds things up quite a bit once you spend time nailing down a couple of templates.
These users thanked the author ericL for the post:
maxpiano
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

ericL wrote: 23 Jul 2024, 18:19 If it was me, I'd try to use the NE6 as a dedicated organ plus occasional synth, and do everything else in the NS4. I realize you probably want to control some of the synths on the NS4 from the NE6, though you could probably replicate a lot of that using samples on the NE6. Maximize the gear you have, which is a very powerful rig.

I also don't love programming to the degree of patch changes, zones, etc. though it's a "rinse and repeat" process - it takes time to set it up for the first time, though once it is done, you can use a couple of complex external zone programs as templates for other programs and it speeds things up quite a bit once you spend time nailing down a couple of templates.
This and using NS4 Extern section capabilities to send Bank+Program Changes you don't need to manually switch patches on NE6 @Eumel, just make that part of the NS4 Program
These users thanked the author maxpiano for the post:
ericL
Eumel
Patch Creator
Germany

Post by Eumel »

Thanks to all of you, but as initially mentioned, I‘m searching for a descent MIDI-keyboard with a waterfall keybed and a high trigger point for note on.

Thanks

Eumel :!:
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Italy

Post by maxpiano »

Eumel wrote: 23 Jul 2024, 21:17 Thanks to all of you, but as initially mentioned, I‘m searching for a descent MIDI-keyboard with a waterfall keybed and a high trigger point for note on.

Thanks

Eumel :!:
Yes, reading again your post I realize that you stated that you want to avoid dealing with program changes etc., sorry mor missing that.

Unfortunately apart from the model I mentioned I don't think there are other master keyboards of the kind you are asking, in fact people with that need go for DYI in many cases (see Doepfer website and its MKE kit examples)
M_a_c
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5
Germany

Post by M_a_c »

Okay - this is really an individual question, since each player has its own preferences.

But for some times I had this Roland VR-09 as "Master-Key" to trigger the NE5
and had been impressed by its sound triggering nearly by just touching the key.

I still have it in my Blues-Project - there with its own roland sound engine running - and even if this is no waterfall-keybed,
it is designed to satisfy as a Clone-Wheel-Key. This keys gives me the M100 touch, that I´m missing.

Maybe you should give it a try as Masterkeyboard...
... onstage since '78 and on the endless (?) hunt for the perfect stage keyboard...
Current Gear: Nord Stage 4 73 - Nord Electro 5 73 - Yamaha YC61 - Crumar7 - Roland VR-09 - Roland RD-300GX - Yamaha PSR-SX900 - Roland XP-60
Former Gear: ... to much...
Eumel
Patch Creator
Germany

Post by Eumel »

Schorsch wrote: 23 Jul 2024, 17:25 Hi Eumel,

I am very much interested in the same but wondering if there is a 61-key MIDI keyboard with waterfall keybed available at all, not just with high trigger point?
Yes, there is but only abailable as second hand: Doepfer D3M which has a low trigger point. I contacted Doepfer. There‘s no way to change it.
Nord Stage 4 88
Nord Electro 6 compact